A revised National VET Data Policy was endorsed by the COAG Industry and Skills Council on 24 November 2017 and came into effect on 1 January 2018. This national policy means that the ESA RTO is required to collect your Unique Student Identifier (USI) and ask you to complete an Enrolment Form that collects information about you.
To minimise the amount of paperwork you need to fill out, ESA Training has developed a process so you only have to complete the full enrolment form when your details change rather than for every course you complete. Your details will be maintained in VETtrak and linked to any courses you do with ACT ESA.
VETtrak is a Student Management System that complies with the requirements of the National VET Data Policy as well as providing a platform for recording and reporting on the qualifications, skills and capabilities you have relevant to your role with the ESA.
Whenever your personal details change, complete a new Initial RTO Enrolment Form so your VETtrak profile can be kept up to date.
|Step 1: Get a USI||You only need to do this once|
|Step 2: Submit an Initial RTO Enrolment Form||You only need to do this once or when your personal circumstances change|
|Step 3: Nominate for a specific course||Do this for each course you enrol in|
Unique Student Identifier (USI)
Each individual student requires a Unique Student Identifier (USI) when studying a nationally recognised training course in Australia.
ACT ESA will not be able to issue nationally recognised qualifications to anyone without a verified USI.
What is a Unique Student Identifier?
The USI is a reference number made up of ten numbers and letters that:
- creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, from all training providers you undertake recognised training with
- will give you access to your training records and transcripts
- can be accessed by you online, anytime and anywhere
- is free and easy to create and
- stays with you for life
How do I get one?
Creating a USI is quick, easy and free.
- Have a valid form of ID, such as your driver’s licence or passport, handy
- Go to www.usi.gov.au and click on ‘Create my USI’
- Fill out the form online. Be sure to enter your details exactly as they appear on your ID.
- The system will verify your identity using the Document Verification Service (DVS). There is comprehensive information about the DVS on the USI website.
What do I do with it?
When you fill out your Initial RTO Enrolment Form, write your USI and Date of Birth on the form. Your USI will be entered on your VETtrak profile. You only need to provide your USI to ESA Training once.
I’ve forgotten my USI – what do I do now?
If you’ve done nationally recognised training in the past few years, you may already have a USI. You only ever need one USI. It is unique to you and is yours for life.
Go to www.usi.gov.au and click on the blue ‘Forgotten USI’ button. You will be asked to enter some information to allow the system to identify you. Contact the USI office if you have questions about finding your forgotten USI.