If there is a fire in your home, everybody in the house should know the Home Fire Escape Plan.
This should be planned ahead and practiced so everybody knows what to do if a fire occurs.
Face the facts
- Have a working smoke alarm in the house;
- Draw a floor plan of your house showing two exits from each room;
- Practice your fire escape plan especially if you have children or elderly people living with you;
- Display your fire escape plan prominently on your fridge and discuss the plan with any overnight guests;
- If the smoke alarm goes off because of a fire or smoke everybody should leave immediately;
- Crawl low under smoke where there is fresh air;
- Check doors for heat before opening;
- Everybody should agree on a meeting point outside the front of the house e.g. At the mail box;