Emergency help during flood or storms
Storms can happen anywhere in the ACT, at any time of the year. It is important to be prepared especially those who may be more vulnerable such as our seniors.
People living in our communities who are senior have a wealth of knowledge, information and networks at their disposal when it comes to planning for, responding to and recovering from storms.
Talk to the people who have lived in your area for a long time about the history and impacts of storms locally. You can gain valuable information from people who have experienced these events in the past.
Sometimes though, the elderly need assistance as well.
It is also important to know how you might be warned about a storm and the Bureau of Meteorology Severe Weather Warnings and Severe Thunderstorm Warnings products.
Information on where to find the latest weather forecast, Severe Weather Warnings and Severe Thunderstorm Warnings
The ACTSES has a series of StormSafe tips that can help you prepare for storms.
- One important item to prepare is your emergency kit.
- Identify your own capabilities and any support or assistance you may need
- Identify and speak with relatives, neighbours or friends that can help provide support during a storm
- Identify a support person
- Prepare a Home Emergency Plan with your support person
- Give your support person a copy of your Home Emergency Plan
- Speak with your care or service provider
- Prepare an emergency kit
- Consider as part of your Home Emergency Plan:
- A list of your support persons and their contact details
- Contact numbers for your care provider and doctor
- Instructions on how to turn off your electricity and gas
- A list of what is in your emergency kit and where it is located
- A list of locations for friends, relatives and neighbours that you can go to
- Your evacuation plans if you are required to leave your home
- A list of items that need to be raised if flooding occurs
- A list of dangerous or hazardous items around your house
- Instructions on how care will be provided to your pets
- A description of any medical issues or disability
- A list of any essential medications or equipment and instructions for their use
- The location of disability related supplies and any special equipment you require