[media-alert type="image" id=30091]With heatwave conditions expected across the ACT for the remainder of this week, people are encouraged to follow these simple summer safety tips to avoid heat-related stress and illness:
- Keep hydrated - drink plenty of water, especially when drinking alcohol and caffeine as they can make dehydration worse.
- Plan your day around the heat - avoid being outdoors between 11am and 3pm and seek shade when outside.
- Check on others - this includes children, the elderly, pregnant women, people with medical conditions and don't forget your pets!
- Watch out - be on the lookout for any symptoms of heat related illness and see your GP if you feel unwell.
If someone is experiencing symptoms of heat stress during hot weather:
- Try to get the person to a cooler environment.
- Lay the person down.
- Cool them by applying cool, wet towels around the neck and underarms.
- If conscious, give cool fluids (preferably water).
In an emergency call Emergency Triple Zero (E000).
For more information on summer safety and preventing heat-related illness, visit: https://www.health.act.gov.au/about-our-health-system/population-health/summer-safety
For further information on the heatwave conditions, visit the BOM website: http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/heatwave/