ACT Fire & Rescue have responded to an incident in Ngunnawal involving an unattended candle.
Crews were called to a house on the corner of Ashleigh Park and Paul Coe Crescent just after 9:30am.
The occupant had extinguished a small fire caused by the candle before firefighters arrived, with only minimal damage caused to a bedroom.
As we head in to colder months, ACT Fire & Rescue reminds all Canberrans that candles used for any reason including decoration, aromatherapy or lighting can pose a fire risk.
- Make sure candles are extinguished when leaving the room or going to sleep;
- Never let children have lit candles in their room;
- Do not have candles where they can be knocked over by children or pets,
- Never spray an aerosol can near a candle;
- Keep matches and lighters high up and out of the way of children;
- Try to avoid walking with a candle ; and
- Do not put candles on windowsills.
For more information view the Candles Fact Sheet