Emergency help
during flood or storms
132 500

ACT State Emergency Service

Supporting the community in times of emergency

About us

The ACT State Emergency Service (ACTSES) is a volunteer emergency service organisation which gives immediate assistance to the community during emergencies and disasters. SES volunteers provide emergency response to the community of the ACT 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The main function of the ACTSES is to undertake planning and response operations for storms and floods. ACTSES may also assist the Police, Fire Brigade, Rural Fire Service and Ambulance Service in dealing with a range of incidents or emergencies.

The ACTSES has seven units across the ACT and 250 dedicated volunteers. ACTSES volunteers come from all walks of life, all backgrounds and all professions. In fact, the main thing ACTSES volunteers have in common is a desire to make a contribution within their community.

Since 1 July 2011 the ACTSES has responded to over 2000 requests for assistance. Of these requests 99% related to storm and flood operations with the remaining 1% relating to the provision of operational assistance to other emergency service organisations and agencies. In total, the ACTSES provided approximately 22,136 hours of volunteer support to the community.

The ACTSES is part of a national network of similar services in each State and Territory around Australia. The benefits of becoming an ACTSES volunteer are immense. Volunteers have many opportunities to develop new and nationally recognised skills, form new friendships, accept high levels of responsibility and enjoy the team spirit of a tightly knit unit.

To become an ACTSES volunteer phone (02) 6207 8451 or visit the Joining the SES page.

This page was last modified on May 25th, 2012

Current Weather Warnings