There are currently no fires in the ACT.
The community is reminded a TOTAL FIRE BAN is in place until midnight.
The fire danger rating today in the ACT is EXTREME.
The ACT Ambulance Service and ACT Health would like to remind Canberrans about the dangers of heat stress with very hot conditions forecast today in the Territory.
It is important to:
- Make sure you drink enough water. If you have children you should also ensure they follow this advice;
- Keep cool and well hydrated;
- Limit the amount of coffee and drinks containing caffeine or alcohol you consume because these have a dehydrating effect;
- Cover up to protect yourself from the sun – wear wide brimmed hats, loose long sleeve shirts and loose fitting trousers;
- Wear lots of sunscreen and remember to take some along with you to reapply regularly;
- Don’t forget your elderly and frail relatives and neighbours; and
- Pay special attention to the health needs of babies and young children who can be adversely affected by the heat.
For more information on preventing heat-related illnesses, visit: www.health.act.gov.au