“Keep it neat and it won’t overheat”
ACT Fire & Rescue is urging residents to consider what electrical fire hazards they may have in their home this winter.
The focus of this year’s annual Winter Home Fire Safety campaign focuses on kitchen fire safety.
The message to the community is “Keep it neat and it won’t overheat”. Overloaded power points and power boards can overheat and cause a fire in your home.
Face the facts
- Never overload power points;
- Never connect power boards or double adaptors together;
- Check power boards for signs of damage or discolouration. If found, discard immediately.
- Buy quality power boards with an overload protection device or RCD; and
- Provide adequate ventilation around the power boards.
- Consider hiring a licensed electrician to install power points to avoid excessive use of power boards
For more tips on electrical safety, phone 132 281 or visit ActewAGL
Power points and power boards fact sheet [.PDF 366KB]