Natural Disaster Resilience Program
The Australian Government currently provides funding to the State and Territories for disaster mitigation works and support for emergency management volunteers through the Natural Disaster Resilience Program (NDRP).
A key aim of the NDRP is to enhance Australia’s resilience to natural disasters through mitigation works, measures and related activities that contribute to safer, sustainable communities better able to withstand the effects of disasters, particularly those arising from the impact of climate change.
ACT Natural Disaster Resilience Program (ACT NDRP)
Under the new NDRP, the ACT has been allocated funding by the Commonwealth to enhance the Territories resilience to natural disasters. The objectives of the program are to provide:
- more resilient, self reliant communities;
- increased engagement between all sectors of the community and emergency managers;
- more efficient and effective natural disaster mitigation strategies that are based on prioritised risk; and
- reduced impact of natural disasters, including the cost of response and recovery to all levels of government.
Under the NDRP, the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department is providing each state and territory with funds to undertake the Territory wide prioritised natural disaster risk assessment. The ACT is about to commence this risk profile, which will be informed by previous work done throughout the ACT showing that our major risks include bushfires, storms, floods, unseasonal weather conditions or events and earthquakes. In the absence of this risk profile for the ACT, existing information on natural disasters in this website may guide applications. Applicants are required to match the Australian Government contribution on a 1:1 basis. Applications of no less than $20,000.00 are sought.
How to apply
Applications for funding under the ACT Natural Disaster Resilience Program will be sought on an annual basis. They will be assessed and prioritised by the ACT NDRP Assessment Committee based on their ability to meet the program objectives.
Organisations able to apply for funding under the ACT NDRP are:
- Non-Government Organisations, and in some cases the private sector responsible for disaster management and disaster mitigation works (eg. community recovery organisations, CALD communities) Note that a major priority of the program will be to provide support to volunteers;and
- ACT government agencies responsible for disaster management and disaster mitigation works.
Applications for 2012/13 close on Friday 21 September 2012.
For more information contact the ACT NDRP Program Manager on 62072259 or email email@example.com