The emergency coordination section is responsible for the following functions.
- Coordinate and chair stakeholder meetings for major mass gathering events in the ACT.
- Undertake and coordinate administration, assessment and oversight roles associated with the Natural Disasters Resilience Program (NDRP).
- Coordinate dissemination of information from the Commonwealth on emergency management issues within the ESA and to other ACT agencies.
- Provide Emergency Management Duty Officer functions to activate support and coordination arrangements on behalf of ESA Services and other Territory response agencies, including 24/7 capability, Emergency Co-ordination Centre (ECC) activation, support to Emergency Alert and Management Support Unit activation.
- Maintain incident management infrastructure at ESA HQ Fairbairn.
- Provide technical advice and policy advice on broader emergency management issues effecting the ESA e.g. Climate Change, national arrangements, spatial and information technology and knowledge enhancement.
- Undertake major exercises with ESA Operational Services and external support agencies to test multi-agency coordination and response to emergencies.