Applicants must be Australian citizens or have permanent residence status, and possess the following essential qualifications:
- Current first aid certificate (‘Apply First Aid’ or equivalent)
- Current Australian C Class Licence with no restrictions and confirmation of completion of a ‘Heavy Vehicle Knowledge Assessment’ or; current Australian MR Class driving licence with no restrictions.
- Current Medical Consent to participate in physical abilities testing, and
- A Police Character Check will be required to be obtained during the selection process
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective member of a highly trained team.
- Ability to perform in a physically demanding environment.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in job performance, including personal and professional development.
- An understanding of the role, responsibilities and nature of employment of a Fire Fighter.
- Demonstrated knowledge of fair and safe workplace practices, including Work Health and Safety, and the principles of respect, equity and diversity.
Firefighters work in teams, under the supervision of a Station Officer. Depending on the shift being worked and the circumstances that emerge during the shift, a Firefighter will;
- Prepare equipment and appliances for emergency response through the application of, and compliance with, routine checking procedures,
- Operate vehicles in emergency and non-emergency situations in accordance with Traffic Regulations and agency procedures,
- During building inspections and at calls to fire, locate and identify fire alarms, detectors, suppression and building control systems and check and monitor the status of fire alarms,
- Whilst performing routine duties and attending emergencies, identify potential and existing hazards, take appropriate action and report the nature of those hazards in accordance with agency OH&S requirements,
- Respond to fires, rescues and other emergencies and perform duties in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures, including those tasks as allocated by the Station Officer/Senior Officer at the scene,
- Assist casualties at accidents/incidents and provide emergency care by the application of basic life support techniques and in accordance with agency Standard Operating Procedures.
- Process information in accordance with agency procedures by;
- logging details of emergency reports for action and future reference
- receiving, processing and transmitting information via radio, telephone and computer
- completing standard agency proformas
- Perform routine Station duties including the cleaning and maintenance of vehicles, equipment and facilities
- Undertake training and courses of study to ensure current competence.