Lateral Recruitment Process – ACT Fire and Rescue
Lateral entry recruitment allows ACT Fire and Rescue (ACTF&R) the opportunity to appoint firefighters from recognised urban fire and rescue services to fill vacancies on a needs basis.
This policy provides a framework for the recruitment, selection and appointment of firefighters who meet the competency requirements to undertake operational duties as a firefighter with ACTF&R through lateral recruitment.
Consistent with all ACTF&R recruitment processed, lateral recruitment seeks to select employees who are medically, physically and psychologically resilient and capable of safely and effectively performing the duties of an operational firefighter.
Applicants interested in applying for lateral recruitment with ACTF&R will be required to submit the following documentation:
- A written response to the following questions (with a limit of 250 words per question):
- What is your understanding of the role, responsibilities and nature of employment as a fire fighter with ACTF&R; and
- What has motivated you to apply for a position in ACTF&R?
- A statement of service from your current employer;
- A training transcript from your current employer;
- A current resume;
- Two written referee reports (preferably one from your current or recent supervisor);
- Current First Aid Certificate (Apply First Aid or equivalent);
- Current Australian MR Class Licence (or equivalent) with no restrictions.
- An unrestricted current ACT Working with Vulnerable People (WWVP) card.
- Note: Applicants who are unable to submit a WWVP card in Phase 1 of the process will need to hold a current card before an offer of employment can be made.
- Information on WWVP registration is available from the Access Canberra website
- All costs associated with the completion of a WWVP check must be met by the individuals.
All applicants are required to complete and submit an Application Coversheet with their application. All applications should be sent to Jobs@act.gov.au
Applicants who successfully complete phase 1 of the recruitment process will proceed to Phase 2.
Applicants successful in proceeding to Phase 2 must provide current medical consent to participate in a skills proficiency assessment via completion of the attached Medical Consent Form.
- Demonstrate (through participation in a proficiency challenge test) current skills and experience in firefighting and other emergency incident operations as prescribed by the chief Officer;
- Achieve the required standard in nominated elements of the ACTF&R Physical Aptitude Test (PAT), an integral component of the challenge test;
- Participate in an interview.
Applicants who successfully complete recruitment Phases 1 & 2 will proceed to Phase 3.
- Undertake a Psychological Assessment;
- Achieve the required standard in a pre-employment medical check to be considered medically fit to undertake the duties of a firefighter; and
- Undertake a National Police History check.
Note: ACTF&R have an exemption under Section 19 of the Spent Convictions Act 2000 for offences related to arson. That is, any past convictions (irrespective of age) that relate to arson will be reported in a criminal record check.
- Probation – in accordance with the relevant Enterprise Agreement, irrespective of level of appointment, all successful applicants will be required to undertake a probationary period for a period of not less than six months.
Salary rates up to an including FB5 is as follows
- FB1(FF4th class in training) – $69,301
- FB2 (FF 3rd class) – $74,614
- FB3 (FF 2nd class) – $78,422
- FB4 (FF 1st class) – $85,273
- FB5 (Senior Firefighter) – $89,841
To apply for a position with ACTF&R go to Jobs ACT website.
Further detail on leave entitlements and conditions of service for firefighters can be found in the current ACT Fire and Rescue Enterprise Agreement 2013-2017 located on the Jobs ACT website at the following link – http://www.jobs.act.gov.au/about-the-actps/agreements
For further information about the lateral recruitment process, please email Station Officer Glenn Brewer at firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone (02) 6207 8645.